1. Free tour of New Belgium Brewing and enjoy a sampling of their popular beers. The brewery is sustainable, employee-owned, energy efficient. Send free postcards from the brewery after the tour. Book in advance at http://www.newbelgium.com.
2. First Friday Art Walks. http://www.downtownfortcollins.com. Not only do you experience fantastic art at a multitude of galleries, but some of the locations offer appetizers and music.
3. Take a downtown walk. Main Street Disneyland was inspired by Old Town Fort Collins. Disney employee Harper Goff, a Ft. Collins native, showed Walt Disney his photos of Ft. Collins and Disney told him to make Main Street look like that. Fort Collins Old Town District has 23 preserved buildings, including examples of Art Deco and early-century architecture.
4. Fort Collins Museum. Free Admission every third Sunday of the month. Heritage Courtyard contains four historic structures embodying early Euro-American life in the area. The Fort Collins Local History Archive has something for everyone. Admission to the Archive is always free. http://www.fcmdsc.org.
5. Lyric Cinema, http://www.lyriccinemacafe.com, 300 East Mountain. Free morning cartoons 10:00-12:00, every day except Sundays.
6. Summer outdoor concerts starting in June and Bohemian Nights at New West Fest in August. http://www.downtownfortcollins.com.
7. The Farm at Lee Martinez Park. Free for those under 2 and over 85+ ($2.50 otherwise). Take a walk through yesteryear’s farm era with interactive displays and live farm animals. http://www.fcgov.com/recreation/thefarm.php.
8. Farmer’s Markets. Winter Market in Opera Galleria. Live music, free samples, and lots of fun. Summer Market at the Larimer County Courthouse Parking Lot. http://www.nocofoodincubator.com/. http://www.larimercountyfarmersmarket.org/.
9. Bicycling. Fort Collins Bicycle Library will lend bicycles to visitors and residents looking to explore the City of Fort Collins. There are self guided tours from the “Bike the Sites” collection, including the Brewery Tour, Environmental Learning Tour, and the Historic Homes Tour. http://www.fcbikelibrary.org. In the summer take a look at the CSU Horticulture Dept. experimental flower gardens at the site of the old Fort Collins High School.
10. Old Town Trolley. Free rides for Moms on Mother’s Day, Dads on Father’s Day and for everyone on special days when sponsored by local businesses. (otherwise, $1 for adults). Fort Collins Birney Safety Car 21 travels 3-miles round trip and was one of four cars purchased by the City in 1919. Saturday and Sunday afternoons and holidays from May through September. http://www.fortnet.org/trolley.
Visit me at http://www.fortcollinshomes.com.
Next Blog: It Is EZ Being Green.